Learn how the BinaxNOW® Malaria test works by playing our interactive product demonstration.
The BinaxNOW® Malaria test is an in vitro immunochromatographic assay for the qualitative detection of Plasmodium antigens circulating in human venous and capillary EDTA whole blood of individuals with signs and symptoms of malarial infection. The test targets the histidine-rich protein II (HRPII) antigen specific to Plasmodium falciparum (P.f.) and a pan-malarial antigen common to all four malaria species capable of infecting humans - P. falciparum, P. vivax (P.v.), P. ovale (P.o.), and P. malariae (P.m.). It is intended to aid in the rapid diagnosis of human malaria infections and in the differential diagnosis of Plasmodium falciparum (P.f.) infections from other less virulent malarial infections. Negative results must be confirmed by thin / thick smear microscopy. The simple test provides results in 15 minutes, allowing for accurate treatment and improved patient outcomes.
- Rapid: Results seen in 15 minutes
- Enables immediate treatment
- Helps improve patient outcomes and decrease mortality
- Easy to use: Simple test using only 1 reagent
- Requires a small blood sample easily collected by fingerstick
- No need for skilled microscopist
- Easy to interpret: Differentiated results allow diagnosis of potentially lethal P. falciparum infection
- Objective, qualitative results
- Easy to read, qualitative results
- Reduces unnecessary use of anti-malarial drugs, thereby helping to minimize the development of drug resistant malaria strains
P. falciparum Sensitivity: 99.7% Specificity: 94.2%*
P. vivax Sensitivity: 93.5% Specificity: 99.8%
*For parasitemia levels >5,000 (parasites/µl). Please refer to the Product Insert for complete performance data as established in clinical trials.
- 665-025 (US)
- 66005 (Worldwide)
- 660-000 (Worldwide)
Need Product Assistance?
Contact Client Services
To place an order or inquire about order status, please contact Client Services at 1-877-441-7440 Option 1.
For any patient and/or Health Care Professional inquiries for Alere Home Monitoring services please call the number below:
Patient inquiries - Prompt 3
Clinic inquiries – Prompt 4
Billing and Coding
Easily look up CPT & ICD-9 codes, coverage policies, and state by state Medicare reimbursement information.