Pneumocystis carinii is a widespread pathogen, infecting man and other mammals. It is a major pathogen in the immunocompromised, especially patients with AIDS1,2. Starvation, haematological malignancies, primary cellular immune deficiency and immunosuppressive therapy, for example in transplant patients and leukaemic patients on cytotoxic drugs are factors that increase the likelihood of infection with P. carinii pneumonia. DETECT IF is a simple and rapid test for the detection and identification of P. carinii in human bronchoalveolar lavage fluid (BAL) and induced sputum (IS).
Axis-Shield DETECT IF Pneumocystis carinii
The DETECT IF Pneumocystis carinii (P. carinii) test is an indirect qualitative immunofluorescence kit for the detection of P. carinii oocysts in human bronchoalveolar lavage fluid and induced sputum. It is intended to aid in the diagnosis of suspected P. carinii infection.
We understand the need for accurate answers as early as possible to make the best informed decisions, especially when it comes to pneumonia.
- The Detect IF Pneumocystis carinii test contains the following components:
- P. carinii monoclonal antibody
- FITC conjugated anti-mouse antibody
- Enzyme Diluent
- Dilute Hydrochloric acid
- Patient specimen slides and mounting medium.
- Instruction leaflet in multiple languages.
- The 60 test kit has a shelf life of 18 months.
- Assay time is <90 minutes.
- Kovacs JA et al. Diagnosis of Pneumocystis carinii Pneumonia: Improved Detection in Sputum with use of Monoclonal Antibodies. The New Eng J Med, March 10 1988, 318 No. 10, 499-593.
- Posner D, Khan FA. Respiratory Infections in AIDS. A Comprehensive Care Approach. J Respir Dis, June 1987, 83-94.
- Products & Services