Serologic tests are an important aid in the clinical diagnosis of syphilis. Syphilitic infection caused by Treponema pallidum leads to the appearance of antibodies called reagins. The detection of reagin has been the basis for the development of VDRL Antigen; a reagent utilising extracts of cardiolipin, lecithin and cholesterol. The Axis-Shield modification of VDRL Antigen contains microparticulate carbon which enhances the visual difference between a positive and a negative result. When these antibodies are detected in serum or plasma it is a presumptive diagnosis for syphilis.
Axis-Shield RPR is a slide flocculation test for the qualitative and semi-quantitative determination of antibodies to VDRL antigen. It can be used for screening donated blood, for rapid screening of patients suspected of having syphilis, to monitor the immunological response to treatment or for use in screening of individuals or population groups.
- The Axis-Shield RPR test contains the following components:
- Reagin antigen coated carbon
- Dispensing bottle and needle
- Disposable test cards
- Reagin positive and negative serum controls
- The 500 test kit has a shelf life of 18 months.
- Assay time is 8 minutes.
- Instruction leaflet in multiple languages.
- Products & Services